- They're getting lots of requests from the media for hearing room seats. Our media campaign* is working!
- There will be TWO overflow rooms. This hearing is going to be HUGE.
We the people want to believe that our government is based on the rule of law. Only impeachment can restore that belief.
We need to know that our government is telling us the truth about important issues such as war. Only impeachment will demonstrate to future presidents that we will not tolerate being misled.
We want to believe our government is there to serve us and not the interests of political parties. Only impeachment for the politicization of the Department of Justice will restore our faith.
Please give us something so that we know Democracy is not dead. Please move forward with at least ONE of the following actions:
1) Ask the staff to draft an article of impeachment related to the refusal of the Bush administration to comply with Congressional subpoenas thus interfering with Congresses oversight role.
2) If you need a stronger charge than #1 then schedule an impeachment hearing with subpoenaed witnesses. If Bush and Cheney instruct witnesses not to testify then they can be impeached for interfering with Congress's sole power of impeachment. An advantage of this approach is that there is no need to prove that Bush did not comply. So the trial in the Senate can be brief.
3) Instruct the Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (chaired by Jerrold Nadler) to mark up H. Res. 1258 and to prepare it for presentation in some form to the House as articles of impeachment.
4) If Bush is perceived as too strong politically (he does have a higher approval rating than Congress) then just impeach Cheney first.
We realize that time is short. But Andrew Johnson was impeached in ten days. So there is still time. The most important thing is knowing that Congress still cares enough about the Constitution to start the impeachment process even if we run out the clock in January. Please give us a sign that the President's power over us is not absolute.
With sincere gratitude for your courage and patriotism,
Weds, July 23:
Kenneth Ashe, Kim Carlyle, Susan Serpa, Cynthia Papermaster had meetings with aides for Robert Wexler, Tammy Baldwin, Dennis Kucinich, James Sensenbrenner, Nancy Pelosi, Melvin Watt, William Delahunt and Judiciary Committee staff. Sincere thanks to Ken and Kim, who are Veterans for Peace from North Carolina. Ken made beautiful, poignant speeches in support of impeachment. Kim is an superb lobbyist and negotiator.
Thursday, July 24: "Impeachment Lobbying Day"
NIN, Veterans for Peace, Iraq Veterans Against the War, CODEPINK, others will roam the halls of Congress and meet with as many Representatives as possible to tell them the country wants impeachment. We'll ask Judiciary Committee members to attend the July 25 hearing, to set a date to conduct impeachment hearings, and to refer articles of impeachment to the House for a vote.
Impeachment Slogan Contest Winners Announced Tomorrow
The judges will announce the winners of the slogan contest tomorrow. Last-minute entries will be accepted up until 3 pm Pacific/ 6 pm Eastern time 7/24. Again, the challenge is to come up with a slogan that describes or frames the impeachment movement as positively irresistible for those who find the word "impeachment" scary or harsh. Good suggestions we've received are "Choose Democracy" and "Everyone Wins". Send your slogans to email@example.com. Prizes: all 3 runners up, second and first place winners get a copy of Vincent Bugliosi's book The Prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder. In addition, first place wins a homemade fresh MMMM-peach pie shipped overnight anywhere, and everyone wins impeachment of Dick Cheney and George W. Bush
PDA Re-Joins The Impeachment Fight !!! Hallelujah!
Next up: moving MoveOn over to support impeachment
If you haven't seen this blast from PDA read it and rejoice. There is even a button to "forward to a friend." Thank you PDA. It's good to be working with you. Note that our own William Crain is on the PDA Impeachment Team listed at the bottom of the blast. You go William! Also note the "p.s." invitation to join the PDA Impeachment Google Group.
From: PDA's Impeachment Team <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 8:10:03 PM
Subject: Impeachment: Turn Up The Heat